October 6, 2017

Fight Injustice With Your Writing - Case #2

My writing is my super power. I don't have a fancy cape and a cool secret identity, but I do have an internet connection and like to think I write faster than a speeding bullet. I'd love to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but I doubt that's happening any time soon. *smirk* Instead, I use my writing to fight injustice, something we all can do.

Amnesty International is a human rights organization with chapters around the world fighting injustice, crimes against humanity, corrupt government, and censorship. It only takes a moment to send a letter. Snail mail is an effective option because a large volume of letters is not easy to ignore, but email campaigns are successful too. Amnesty International has a searchable database by country and cause, which is easy to use. They have a variety of letter writing campaigns, so everyone can find a cause that speaks to them.

As a writer, I value free speech. If people do not have the power to question and criticize government institutions, they lose the power to live in a society where human rights and freedom prevail. In the age of Trump, a free and independent press is needed now more than ever as a check against his power as president, but this freedom is in jeopardy today. Jenni Monet is an independent journalist; she covered one of the Dakota Access Pipeline demonstrations and was unjustly arrested on February 1, 2017 and treated inhumanely. Amnesty International has launched a letter writing campaign demanding the charges against Jenni Monet be dropped. Information to participate in this and other campaigns can be found on the Amnesty International USA site. Participants do not need to reside in the USA; anybody can write a letter for any campaign around the world. Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.