November 22, 2017

Weapons Writing Research

I'm currently working on a new urban fantasy novel set in my hometown of Milwaukee. Weapons aren't my area of expertise and my characters are going to need some badass metal to defend themselves against the Dark Fae and other enemies. Fortunately, the Milwaukee Public Museum has a wonderful weapons exhibit, Beyond the Blade, going on now through January 1, 2018. The exhibit has over 180 examples of weaponry from fifty countries, spanning 10,000 B.C.E. to the 20th Century and explores weapons used as tools, defense, and cultural symbols. Among my favorites are the Knight's Templar sword, an arrow from Custer's Last Stand, and a pirate's sword. 

I thought I'd share some of my photos in hopes they inspire your own stories. If you are in the Milwaukee area between now and January, check out this phenomenal exhibit. And if you can't get here, stop by your local history museum for some great research. Nothing beats the experience of seeing a weapon in person, rather than in a one dimensional photograph.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.